GB WhatsApp is not available on the Google Play store. Does it not make you think once more before installing this App from a third-party website?
Well in this article I will shed some light on the risks you bear with using GB WhatsApp.
So before we begin let me tell you what exactly is GB WhatsApp. GB WhatsApp is a modded App. This App offers a few extra features over Official WhatsApp. The developer has tinkered a few codes so that users of this App can enjoy a few more features which they otherwise don’t while using the official App.
GB WhatsApp Features
- The App is highly customizable out of the box and you can choose a theme out of loaded themes in the App. Also, you can make your own customized theme as well.
- In the privacy settings, you can choose to hide “typing…” in writing status, voice recording status, blue ticks including second tick, view status etc.
- When you tap on three dots in the official App, you get only five options whereas GB WhatsApp throws extra six options when you tap on that three dots.
- Support multiple languages
- Message scheduler enables the user to schedule the message to someone. This comes handy in many situations like you can schedule birthday wish for anyone at sharp 12 AM when probably you must be sleeping.
- More flexibility in sending a number of pictures and videos.
Should you prefer GB WhatsApp over official WhatsApp?
Now that I have mentioned the key features of GB WhatsApp, it is highly important to know the pros and cons of using GB WhatsApp over normal WhatsApp. The Pros are using the WhatsApp official features along with some additional features, customizing the App as you wish and making it behave like how you want it to. Well, the features which this modded App offers can increase temptation of any WhatsApp fan to give it a try. Here are the cons of GB WhatsApp which may be the reasons you should avoid using this APP.
- This App is not available on the Google Play store. You must turn on “Install from unknown sources” in your phone security setting.
- It is the modded version of the original App. The author of this App or website owners who provide the download link may inject malicious codes in the APK which can steal your private data.
- WhatsApp is banning such modded alternatives and it may cause suspension of your account.
- Since it is not official, you will not be using the latest version of WhatsApp because modded App comes after a few days and in some cases of bans it may take months also.
- Official WhatsApp doesn’t come with any kind of Ads however GB WhatsApp is backed by Ads.
Is GB WhatsApp safe?
After reading all these cons, do you still want to use this App? I downloaded the App from different websites and scanned it on VirusTotal, an online tool to verify for the viruses present in a file downloaded from the Internet. All the results show that APK file is not safe to use. The scan results can be “False Positives” also but why do you want to risk your phone? If you still want to go ahead and download the APK, as per the VirusTotal results, the official XDA page is safest to proceed with the download. You can download it from here.
In case anyone directly searches “GB WhatsApp download” on google, he/she will get a number of results to download the GB WA. Here are scan results of the APKs downloaded from top 4 websites which appears when you search for that keyword. As you can see, none of the files came out clean as per VirusTotal results.
If you have installed GB WA already, it is crucial to scan the APK file you used. If you don’t know how to scan an APK file or any software on VirusTotal, follow the below quick tutorial.
Google does not want you to download modded Android Apps from unknown sources. That’s the reason you need to enable “install from unknown sources” if you want to take a risk. You can install Apps from unknown sources in some cases when you can trust the source. APK mirror is such a good source. You can’t find GB WhatsApp on APK mirror which again puts a question on the quality of this App. Anyway if you still want to use GB WhatsApp, use it on a phone which you do not use for banking transactions. Also, scan the APK file every time you install it irrespective of the source of download. Do you use modded WhatsApp on your phone and think that it is safe to use? Do let me know your thoughts in the comment below.